Monday 10 June 2013

It took just three seconds

I consider myself well travelled; been to many countries, understand many cultures.  Had many an experience (highs and lows) all over the world.

So when it comes to this Paris experience, I get pissed to the max !





I was sitting quietly in a small coffee shop in the Latin Quarter in Paris - eating my baguette and sipping my coke, when three 'urchins' (gipsy kids) come up to our table and put a plastic covered sheet (something about Jerusalem) on our table. 

My 'scam' radar went on high alert, and my hand went on to hold my camera that was on the table. Scam ! I said, go away I shouted.  The kids hovered and within a couple of seconds they scrammed .   My relief lasted only seconds, when I noticed that my iPhone was GONE !  Bugger , double bugger !  I look around, not believing someone would take it, and then quickly realise that the scam had worked . . . bastards ! 

I get up, look around - gone !  I walk to the counter around the corner, and ask the shopkeeper if he has seen any kids hovering around . . . he does not understand english...  tripple bugger.

Out of the corner I see my friend Elias (we met Elias the day before and ate in his very nice Greek Restaurant) and I ask him for help . . . .   my problem was that I was still chewing on the baguette and my mout was dry and I could not speak well or swalled, and my eyes would have been opening and closing. . .  must have looked like a real goose !

Eventually, I get my message across, and we walk together around the streets for a few minutes, but nothing.   After a while, I thank Elias, and I spend the next 30 minutes or so wondering the streets . . . nothing.  Logic tells me that once these kids are sucecssful they dissappear.  Go to another district and try their luck on some other unsuspecting tourists.

Bugger Bugger Bugger.    It gives me the shits !

***

Anyway, today is another day.  We went to the Police station and reported the theft (to get a police report for the insurance).   The money is one thing, and we may get some back, but it is just the inconvenience (I had just bought a new local SIM card to help me stay in touch !).

Lesson ?  Be careful and keep an eye out for these scammers / street kids !

No comments:

Post a Comment