Tuesday 27 May 2014

Singapore - Part 3 (Frogs legs, Crab and golf)

In my life, I have never tried frogs legs or crab.  However, on Sunday my hosts in Singapore, Andrew and Hien, took me to a local food court on. Holland Drive,  one of their favourite eating places, which they visit almost every Sunday evening.

Although the restaurant serves normal meat (ie, meat), their best dishes were seafood based, including black pepper crab and frogs legs with chilli and ginger.  I thought if I don't try some now, perhaps I never will.  Andrew' son, David, said that the frog tasted like chicken....  doesn't everything taste like chicken ?

So I did.  And I survived.  



Frogs leg meat was very tender.  Probably the most tender meat that I have ever eaten.  It was ok.  Most likely an acquired taste,  Not sure I would acquire it, but , it was not the end of the world.

Crab meat was different.  Not what I had expected,  it looked like, jelly.  Tasted a bit like jelly meat.  It was ok.  I survived.  Again, not sure I will ever eat this again.



I always say, new experiences are good for the soul.

****
I played a few rounds of golf in Singapore. 

The first round was on a course called Vanda.  It was beautiful.  By Australian standards, it was enormous,  the club house was like a palace.    And quite formal (ie, please tuck your shirts in, sir).
The first 4 holes were very difficult for me, cause apart from being a little stiff, it was hot and very humid.  Although we had a cart, it was exhausting.  Then the rains came.  And it bucketted down.  At first we stayed in the cart, as it had rain curtains, but then we moved to a covered area where we could rest and get a drink.  Rain lasted about 45 minutes, and it was very heavy.  Once the downpour was over, the course Marshall let us know that we could continue our games after about 10 minutes.  Wow, drainage must be fantastic !  And it was,  the course played really well (except for the bunkers as the sand was still wet).  I didn't break any records, but my game got better  after the rain.



Round 2 was on a course called Warren.  Very impressive clubhouse.  This one had a resort attached to it as well.  I played better at the Warren course, and I got to like the clubs I was playing with (Andrew had a spare set), especially the hybrid fairway club - as I could hit this as far as I could drive a ball with the 3 driver.    We had a nice lunch at the clubhouse when we finished, with our playing partners - Mark (an acquantance of Andrew's) and Adena (a Hungarian expat Who seems to play golf everyday and met up with Andrew and Mark a few months ago).

All in all, a very civilised and pleasant way to spend  your days.  The only drawback were my eyes.  They seem to shut more often out in the open, probably the sun, and glare. Not being able to clearly see where your ball goes is not nice, and having to stop suddenly whilst walking to get my bearings is also annoying.  But, c'est la vie !  I take the good and the bad and move on.



Now I am looking forward to picking a Therese up this afternoon from the airport, and probably go out for dinner tonight around Marina Bay and watch the water and light show.

No comments:

Post a Comment